Look East Policy
Look East Policy (LEP) Malaysia-Korea was established in 1983 by Tun Dr. Mahathir Mohamad (4th Prime Minister at that time). To benefit from the development experience of Korea as a model for Malaysia. An initiative to learn especially in the fields of economy, industry, technical training and academics, executive development programs, research, and management.
- 2/11 – Exhibition: 40 years of the Look East Policy Malaysia- Republic of Korea.
- 2/11 – The Embassy of the Republic of Korea and the Ministry of Natural Resources, Environment, and Climate Change (NRECC) of Malaysia jointly organized the Korea-Malaysia Sustainable Energy Summit in commemoration of the 40th anniversary of the Look East Policy.
- The summit took place at the Mandarin Oriental in Kuala Lumpur, attracting over 100 participants, including government officials, energy-focused organizations, private enterprises, and representatives from both nations, with prominent figures in attendance including YB Tuan Nik Nazmi Bin Nik Ahmad (Nik Nazmi) Minister of NRECC, and H.E. Yeo Seung-bae, Ambassador of the Republic of Korea.
- 16/11 – The Embassy of the Republic of Korea hosted the 2nd ESG Forum at Pullman Kuala Lumpur City Centre on November 16th. Over 60 delegates, including representatives responsible for ESG from government agencies such as the Ministry of Investment, Trade and Industry (MITI), the Ministry of Entrepreneur and Cooperatives Development (MECD), and the Malaysian Investment Development Authority (MIDA), as well as key figures from leading Korean companies, participated in the forum.
- 17/11 – The Embassy of the Republic of Korea hosted the Korea-Malaysia Look East Policy Alumni Dinner at the Intercontinental Hotel Kuala Lumpur on November 17th (Friday). This event gathered all alumni from EDP-COTI, GKS Alumni Malaysia (MyGKS), and AGIKO.
- H.E. Yeo Seung-bae, Ambassador of the Republic of Korea to Malaysia delivered his speech in Malay at 2023 Korea-Malaysia LEP Alumni Dinner.
- 22/11 – H.E. Yeo Seung-bae, Ambassador of the Republic of Korea to Malaysia officiated the 2023 Korean Film Festival in commemorating the 40th Anniversary of the Look East Policy at GSC Mid Valley.
- Around 200 people attended, including YBhg. Dato’ Roslan Bin Tan Sri Abdul Rahman(Secretary General of Ministry of Tourism, Arts and Culture), YBhg. Dato’ Kamil Othman (Chairman of FINAS), YBhg. Datuk Azmir Saifuddin Mutalib (CEO of FINAS), Mr. Lee Moon-ho (Director of the Korea-Malaysia joint film titled The Lord Musang King), government & film industry officials, media members & etc. to celebrate the two nations’ cooperative efforts.
- During the opening remarks, Ambassador Yeo said “Based on the Look East Policy, Korea hopes to continue to be a reliable partner in the advancement of Malaysia’s creative industry. We hope to create mutual synergy through cooperation in the film industry and further promote friendship and exchange between the two countries.”
- 27/11 – The Embassy of the Republic of Korea co-organized the Look East Policy Business Summit with the Ministry of Investment, Trade, and Industry (MITI), the National Secretariat of the Look East Policy (LEP).
- The Business Summit which marks the conclusion of the 40th Anniversary of Korea-Malaysia Look East Policy was attended by YB Liew Chin Tong, Deputy Minister of Investment, Trade, and Industry of Malaysia, H.E. Yeo Seung-bae, Ambassador of the Republic of Korea, and around 150 participants, including representatives from Look East Policy-related government departments, agencies, and leading companies of both nations.
- 6/10 – H.E Yeo Seung-bae, Ambassador of the Republic of Korea hosted the “Korea’s National Day & Armed Forces Day Reception”, on 6th October at JW Marriot hotel. The event was officiated by Guest of Honor, YB Nik Nazmi Nik Ahmad, Minister of Natural Resources, Environment and Climate Change of Malaysia. Around 800 guests attended the ceremony, including Tan Sri Dato’ Johari Bin Abdul Speaker of Dewan Rakyat, Government officials, diplomatic corps and significant figures.
- In his welcome speech, H.E. Yeo said “let’s celebrate the 40th anniversary of the Korea-Malaysia Look East Policy, and support for the 2030 Busan World Expo through a solid cooperative relationship”.
- 17/10 – As part of the 40th anniversary celebration of Look East Policy, the Embassy of the Republic of Korea in Malaysia held an opening ceremony to commemorate the establishment of Korean language courses at the ‘Institute of Diplomacy and Foreign Relations (IDFR)’ in collaboration with Korean Education Center. During this event, the first class featured a hands-on experience in making kimbap with the spouse of the Ambassador of the Republic of Korea.
- 23/10 – Ambassador Yeo Seung-bae met with YBhg. Dato’ Roslan Tan Sri Abdul Rahman, Secretary General of Ministry of Tourism, Arts and Culture of Malaysia on October 18 (Wed). During the meeting, H.E. Yeo introduced various events held this year to commemorate the 40th anniversary of the Look East Policy and emphasized that in the coming years, he will continue to promote and strengthen two-way cultural exchanges between two countries.
- 24/10 – Ambassador Yeo Seung-bae held the exhibition ‘40 years the Look East Policy Malaysia and the Republic of Korea’ with the host of country’s National Archives at the Tun Hussein On Memorial Hall. About 150 people, including Minister of Unity, Dato’ Aaron Ago Dagang key figures from the host country, and Korean compatriots, including Korean companies and Korean associations, attended the event, which helped not only Malaysian citizens but also Korean citizens in the host country understand the Look East Policy and mutual exchanges between the two countries.
- Ambassador Yeo said that based on the Look East Policy of the past 40 years, we will pursue a leap forward (L-E-A-P, Look East Again Policy) for the next 40 years and that we will become a trusted partner of Malaysia.
- 7/9– H.E. Yeo Seung-bae, the Ambassador of the Republic of Korea to Malaysia, had an interview with KTV and explained the cooperation between Korea and Malaysia, marking the 40th anniversary of the Look East Policy.
Interview link: KTV News (Korean)
- 8/9 – H.E. Yeo Seung-bae, Ambassador of the Republic of Korea to Malaysia, presented awards to the winners of the Online Video Contest in conjunction with the 40th anniversary of the Look East Policy. Following the event, Ambassador Yeo had a discussion with the awardees on Korean culture and their experiences in Korea.
- 10/9 – Korea-Malaysia Friendly Sports Game at Stadium Juara Bukit Klara for Celebrating 40th Anniversary of LEP.
- 23/8 – Kedutaan Besar Korea Selatan ingin mengucapkan ribuan tahniah buat saudari Najla (pemohon ke-400) dan Florence (pemohon ke-500) visa pelajar, yang telah terpilih sebagai penerima hadiah sempena ulang tahun yang ke-40 bagi Dasar Pandang ke Timur atau ‘Look East Policy’, pada bulan Ogos 2023. Pihak Kedutaan ingin mengucapkan selamat menjalani kehidupan dan pembelajaran di Korea!
- 7/7 – Share Your Story! Video contest to celebrate 40 years of friendship
- 25/7 – Ambassador of the Republic of Korea, Yeo Seung-bae made a visit to Terengganu during July 24 to 25, after Johor (in May) and Sarawak (in June) at the occasion of 40th Anniversary of Korea-Malaysia Look East Policy (LEP) to explore ways to enhance cooperation with Korea and Malaysia at regional level.
- 27/7 – Kedutaan Besar Korea Selatan ingin mengucapkan ribuan tahniah buat saudari Afiqah (pemohon ke-300) visa pelajar, yang telah terpilih sebagai penerima hadiah sempena ulang tahun yang ke-40 bagi Dasar Pandang ke Timur atau ‘Look East Policy’. Pihak Kedutaan ingin mengucapkan selamat menjalani kehidupan dan pembelajaran di Korea!
- 28/7 – Ambassador of the Republic of Korea, H.E. Yeo Seung-bae had a meeting with GKS alumni(MyGKS). Ambassador congratulated the newly selected GKS scholars and expressed hope that the GKS alumni association(MyGKS) will continue to prosper in commemoration of LEP’s 40th anniversary.
- 1/5 – Foreign Minister Dato’ Seri Diraja Dr. Zambry Abd Kadir warmly received his counterpart from the Republic of Korea H.E. Park Jin earlier today. During their bilateral meeting, both Foreign Ministers discussed ways to further expand various areas of cooperation including economic and trade, digital economy, renewable energy, education, defence and cultural cooperation.
- The two Foreign Ministers also exchanged views on various regional & international issues of common interest. Both sides also expressed their continued commitment to the Look East Policy (LEP) as Malaysia and ROK commemorate its 40th Anniversary this year.
- 2/5 – Meraikan Pameran “Hallyu – Korean Wave” di Balai Seni Negara. Pameran diadakan sempena sambutan Ulangtahun ke-40 Dasar Pandang ke Timur bersama Republik Korea. Majlis telah dihadiri oleh YBhg. Datuk Hajah Saraya binti Arbi, Ketua Setiausaha, Kementerian Pelancongan, Seni dan Budaya dan Tuan Yang Terutama Park Jin, Menteri Luar Korea Selatan. Turut hadir Tuan Yang Terutama Yeo Seung Bae, Duta Besar Republik Korea di Malaysia. Balai Seni Negara mengucapkan ribuan terima kasih di atas kunjungan hormat dan lawatan tersebut. Pameran “Hallyu – Korean Wave” akan berlangsung sehingga September 2023.
- 17/5 – Johor-Korea Business Forum yang buat pertama kali dianjurkan di negeri Johor. Seramai 60 pemain industri dari Korea dan hampir 60 dari Johor yang terdiri daripada Agensi Kerajaan dan sektor swasta terlibat dalam forum ini yang bertujuan sebagai platform untuk berkongsi maklumat dan business matching.
- 20/5 – Ambassador of the Republic of Korea to Malaysia, H.E. YEO Seoung-bae attended the AGIKO Alumni Association Dinner to commemorate the 40th anniversary of Look East Policy. Ambassador YEO congratulated the hosting of the AGIKO Alumni Association and expressed his hope that the AGIKO Alumni Association would serve as a bridge between the two countries, fostering the development of bilateral relations.
- 10/4 – Minister Dato’ Seri Diraja Dr. Zambry Abd Kadir received a courtesy call from H.E Yeo Seung-Bae, Ambassador of the Republic of Korea (ROK) to Malaysia. Both sides discussed efforts in strengthening bilateral relations as Malaysia and the ROK commemorate the 40th Anniversary of the Look East Policy this year. Foreign Minister and the ROK Ambassador also agreed to re-invigorate high-level visits between both countries and exchanged views on various regional & international issues of mutual interest.
- 10/3 – The Ambassador of the Republic of Korea to Malaysia, YEO Seung-bae made a courtesy call to Tun Dr. Mahathir bin Mohamad. Both sides shared opinions on how to celebrate the 40th year of Look East Policy and strengthen bilateral ties between the two countries.
- 13/3 – The Embassy of the Republic of Korea in Malaysia held an opening reception in Kuala Lumpur, in collaboration with the Ministry of International Trade and Industry (MITI) of Malaysia, to commemorate the 40th anniversary of the Look East Policy between Korea and Malaysia.
- The event was jointly organized by the Embassy and MITI, and was attended by various dignitaries including H.E. Yeo Seung-bae, Ambassador of the Republic of Korea to Malaysia, and YB Senator Tengku Datuk Seri Utama Zafrul Bin Tengku Abdul Aziz (Tengku Zafrul), Minister of MITI. Approximately 200 people, including government officials, business leaders, journalists, academics, and three major Korean alumni in Malaysia (COTI, AGIKO, and GKS Alumni) were in attendance.
- 14/3 – “Let’s boost KL-Seoul ties for another 40 great years”, a column written by H.E. Yeo Seung-Bae, Ambassador of the Republic of Korea to Malaysia in the New Straits Times (NST) today.
- 3/2 – A delegation from the Korea-Malaysia Parliamentary Friendship Association headed by Rep. Kim Kyung-hyeop met with Speaker of the House of Representatives Dato’ Johari bin Abdul and exchanged views on ways to strengthen bilateral relations, such as the 40th anniversary of Look East Policy and promoting parliamentary diplomacy.
- 9/2 – Ambassador YEO Seung-bae invited COTI/NHI members for dinner on 8 February(Wed) and discussed ways to celebrate the 40th anniversary of the Look East Policy.
- 20/2 – Kedutaan Besar Korea Selatan ingin mengucapkan ribuan tahniah buat saudari Sarah (pemohon ke-100) dan saudari Adriana (pemohon ke-200) visa pelajar, yang telah terpilih sebagai penerima hadiah sempena ulang tahun yang ke-40 bagi Dasar Pandang ke Timur atau ‘Look East Policy’.
- 28/2 – H.E. Yeo Seung-bae, Ambassador of the Republic of Korea in Malaysia attended a meeting with the Malaysian branch of the Peaceful Unification Advisory Council (PUAC). At this meeting, H.E. Ambassador introduced the policy for the 40th anniversary of this year’s Look East Policy and discussed development plans while encouraging the efforts and activities of the PUAC.
- 6/1 – Foreign Minister Park congratulated Foreign Minister Dato’ Seri DiRaja Dr. Zambry on his inauguration and greatly valued the fact that since the establishment of diplomatic ties in 1960, the two countries have developed close ties of cooperation in many areas. Foreign Minister Park proposed the two sides should closely cooperate on strengthening high-level exchanges and deepening substantive cooperation including in the defense industry, infrastructure, and smart city, as the two countries commemorate the 40th anniversary of the Look East Policy this year.
Note: All the information from Korean Embassy in Malaysia Facebook